GERUND AND INFINITIVE

GERUND AND INFINITIF

Latihan 1: isilah dengan preposisi dan bentuk verba yang tepat
1. Alice’s isn’t interested in looking for a new job
2. Henry is excited to leaving for india
3. You are capable to doing better work
4. I have no excuse to being late
5. I’m accustomed for having a big breakfast
6. The rain prevented us from completing the work
7. Fred is always complaining about having headache
8. Instead of studying, margaret wnt to ball game with some of her friends
9. Thank you for helping me carry the packages to the post office
10. Mrs. Grant insisted on knowing the whole truth
11. He showed us how to get to his house by drawing a map
12. You should take adventage of living here
13. Laura had a good reason for not going to class yesterday
14. Everyone in the neighborhood participated in searching for the lost child
15. I apologized to Diane becouse making her wait for me
16. The weather is terrible tonight. I don’t blame you for not wanting to go to the meeting
17. Who is responsible for washing and drying the dishes after dinner ?
18. In addition after going to school full-time, Sam has a part-time job
19. The angry look on his face stopped me in speaking my mind
20. Where should we go for a dinner tonight? Would you object to going to an Italian restaurant?
21. The mayor made another public statement for the purpose for clarify the new tax proposal
22. The thief was accused after stelling a woman’s purse
23. The jury found Mr. Adams guilty of taking money from the company he worked for and keep it for himself
24. Bill isn’t used in wearing a suit and tie every day
25. I’m going to visit my family during the school vacation. I’m looking forward to eating my mother’s cooking and at sleeping in my own bed

Latihan 3: dengan menggunakan kata-kata di dalam kurung dan kata-kata lain yang perlu, lengkapi kalimat di bawah ini
1. Ken went to bed instaed of finishing his work
2. I thanked her because lending her book
3. I’m excited to going in the market
4. I’m not accustomed for living in the hill
5. He didn’t feel good. He complained about having headache
6. I don’t blame you to not wanting my bag
7. I have a good reason to being late
8. It’s getting late. I’m worried in missing
9. i’m interested to finding out about a flower’s live
10. i’m thinking about going on holiday
11. i apologized to my friend about being my mistake
12. i am/ am not used in driving motorcycle helmet
13. nothing can stop me to going out with my cousin
14. In that office, who is responsible to taking care of cleaner

Latihan 9: dengan menggunakan gagasan yang diberikan dan verba di dalam kurung, buatlah kalimat, baik aktif maupun pasif, dengan menggunakan frasa infinitif. (hilangan frasa by di dalam kalimat pasif
1. The teacher said to me “ you may leave early”
(permit) the teacher permitted me to leave early (active) I was permitted to leave early (passive)

2. The secretary said to me “ please give this not to sue.”
(ask) the secretary asked me to give this note to sue (active)
I was asked to give this note to sue (passive)

3. My advisor said to me, “ you should take biology 109.”
(advise) my advisor advised me to take biology 109 (active)
I was advised to take biology 109 (passive)

4. When I went to traffic court, the judge said to me, “you must pay a thirty-dollar ine.”
(order) when I went to traffic court, the judge was ordering me to must paid a thirty-dollar fine (active)
When I went to traffic court, I was being ordered to must paid a thirty-dollar fine (passive)

5. During the test, the teacher said to Greg, “keep your eyes on your own paper.”
(warn) during the test, the teacher is warning to keep his eyes on my own paper (active)
During the test, he is being warned to keep his eyes on my own paper (passive)

6. During the test, the teacher said to Greg, “don’t look at your neighbor’s paper.”
(warn) during the test , the teacher is warning Greg don’t look at his neighbor’s paper (active)
During the test, Greg is being warned don’t look at his neighbor’s paper (passive)

7. At the meeting the head of the department said to the faculty, “ don’t forget to turn your grade report by the 15th.
(remind) at the meeting the head of the department remind to the faculty don’t forget to turn my grade report by the 15th (active)
The faculty is reminded by the head of the department to dont forget to turn my grade report by the 15th (passive)

8. Mr. Lee said to the children, “ be quiet.”
(tell) Mr. Lee told to the children to be quiet (active)
The children are told to be quiet by Mr. Lee (passive)

9. The hijacker said to the pilot, “you must land the plane.”
(force) The hijacker forced to the pilot must landed the plane (active)
The pilot is forced must landed the plane by hijacker (passive)

10. When I was growing up, my parents said to me, “you may stay up late on Saturday night”
(allow) when I was growing up, my parents allowed me to stayed up late on Saturday night (active)
I was allowed by my parent to stayed up late on Saturday night, when I was growing up (passive)

11. The teacher said to the student, “speak slowly and clearly.”
(encourage) the teacher encouraged the student to spoke slowly and clearly (active)
The student was encouraged by the theacher to spoke slowly and clearly (passive)

12. The teacher always says to the student, “you are supposed to come to class on time.”
(expect) the teacher always expect the student are supposed to came to class on tim (active)
The student is expected to came to class on time by the teacher (passive)


latihan 12: lengkapi kalimat dengan bentuk yang tepat dari verba di dalam kurung
1. I like to going to the zoo.
2. The play was’t very good. The audience started to leave/leaving before it was over
3. After a brief interruption, the professor continued to lecture/lecturing
4. The children love swimming/to swim in the ocean
5. I hate to see any living being suffer. I can’t bear it.
6. I’m afraid of flying. When a plane begins to move down the runway, my heart starts racing Oh-oh! The plane is beginning to move and my heart is stars to race
7. When I travel, I prefer driving to take a plane
8. I prefer to driving rather than taking a plane
9. I always remember to turn off all the lights before I leave my house
10. I can remember being very proud and happy when I gradusted
11. Did you remember giving jake my message ?
12. I remember to playing with dolls when I was a child
13. What do you remember to doing when you were a child?
14. What do you remember to do before you leave for class every day?
15. What did you forget to doing before you left for class this morning?
16. I’ll never forget to carrying my wife over the threshold when we moved into our first home
17. I can’t ever forget to watching our team score the winning goal in the last second of the game to capture the national championship
18. Don’t forget to do you homework tonight !
19. I regret to inform you that your loan application has not been approved
20. I regret not listening to my father’s advice. He was right
21. When a student ask a question, the teacher always tries to explain the problem as clearly as possible
22. I tried everything, but the baby still wouldn’t stop crying. I tried to holding him. I tried to feeding him. I tried to burping him. I tried to changing his diapers. Nothing worked

Latihan 28: isilah dengan bentuk yang tepat dari kata kerja dalam kurung
1. I don’t enjoy being laughed at by other people
2. I’m angry at him for not telling/not having told me the truth
3. It is easy to be fooled by his hes
4. Jack had a narrow escape. He was almost hit by a car. He barely avoided having been hit by the speeding automobile
5. Sharon wants us to tell the news as soon as we hear anything. If we find out anything about the problem, she wants to tell about it immediately
6. Yesterday Anna wrote a check for fifty dollars, but when she wrote it she knew she didn’t have enough money in the bank to cover it. Today she is very worried about writting that check. She has to find a way to put some money in her account right away
7. A: what’s the difference between “burn up” and “turn down”?
B: Hmmmm. That’s an interesting question. I don’t recall ever having asked that question before
8. Living in a foreign country has been a good experience for me. I am glad that my company sent me to another country to study. Iam very pleased to give the opportunity to learn about another culture
9. You must tell me the truth. I insist on telling the truth.
10. Don’t all of us want to love and to need by other people?
11. I enjoy watching television in the evenings
12. Dear jim: i feel guilty about having not wrote to you sooner, but i’ve been swamped with work lately

Latihan 33: lengkapi kalimat dibawah ini dengan kata-kata didalam daftar. Gunakan kedua bentuk yang mungkin
1. When i was downtown yesterday, i saw the police chase/chasing a thief
2. There was an earthquake in my hometown last year. It was just a small one, but I could feel the ground shaking
3. Polly was working in her garden, so she didn’t hear the phone ringing
4. I like to listen to the birds sing when I get up early in the morning
5. The guard observed a suspicious-looking person came into the bank
6. I was almost asleep last night when I suddenly heard someone knocking on the door
7. Did you notice Max look at another student’s paper during the exam?
8. While I was waiting for my plane, I watched other planes landing and taking off
In the following choose the more appropriate form (either simple or –ing) of the verbs in parentheses
9. Last weekend I went to my daughter’s soccer game. I enjoyed watching the children played soccer
10. When I walked past the park, I saw some children were playing baseball
11. Do you see Mary walking up the street? Isn’t that her, the women in the red drees?
12. I remember it distinctly. At 5:30 yesterday afternoon, I saw jim waks to his car, opened the door, and got it
13. When I glanced out the window, I saw jack walking towerd my house
14. Do you hear someone calling for help in the distance? I do.
15. When I heard the principal of the school calling my name at the graduation ceremony, I walked to the front of the auditorium to receive my diploma
16. Last night while I was trying to fall asleep. I could hear the people in the next apartment singing and laughing
17. Do you smell something burning ?
18. As soon as I saw the fly land on the table, I swatted it with a rolled up newspaper

Latihan 35: lengkapi kalimat di bawah ini dengan kata di dalam kurung
1. The doctor made the patient stay in bed
2. Mrs. Crane had her house painted
3. The teacher had the class write a 2000-word research paper
4. I made my son wash the windows before he could go outside to play
5. Don’t got kids in the neighborhood to clean out his garage
6. I went to the bank to have a check cashed
7. Tom had a bad headache yesterday, so he got his twin brother him to go to class for him, the teacher didn’t know the difference
8. When Scott went shopping, he found a jacket that he really liked. After he had the sleeves shorten it fit him him perfectly
9. My boss made me redo my report because he wasn’t satisfied with it
10. Alice stopped at the service station to have the tank filled
11. I got Mary me some money so I could go to a movie last night
12. Mr. Fields went to a doctor to have the wart on his nose removed
13. Peeling onlions always makes me cry
14. Tom Sawyer was supposed to paint the fence, but he didn’t want to do it. He was a very cleaver boy. Somehow he got his friends to do it for him
15. We had a professional photographer take pictures of everyone who participated in our wedding
16. I spilled some tomato sauce on my suit coat. Now I need to get my suit cleaned

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

THE PASSIVE VOICE

ARISTARCHUS